Sunday, May 3, 2015

Surfing

All the parts of California that I've visited were close one to at least one beach, if not more than one. Some of the colleges that I've looked at even offer surfing as an extracurricular activity. For example during my college visit at University of California San Diego, our tour leader told us that she didn't know how to surf entering into the college but she went to a couple of the surfing lessons and she slightly knows how to surf. One of the many reasons why I really want to go to UCSD for college.

Since the eighth grade I've wanted to surf. I remember the one thing that jumpstarted my desire to learn how to surf; a Juicy Couture surfboard. Randomly one day I was looking through the Juicy Couture website and saw the most beautiful (and expensive) surfboard. It basic, pink with a Juicy Couture logo which was originally priced at like $800. I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought about buying the surfboard just because it looked really pretty, also keep in mind this was before I had my heart set on moving to California for college. So basically if I would have listened to my instincts and bought that surfboard and stayed at home for college, I wouldn't have ever used it.

The only thing I'm scared of is not being able to swim against really strong currents. When I was younger I taught myself how to do a flip underwater. It took a couple tries at the pool on different occasions to finally be able to do one without the help of the ladder or edge of the pool. One random time when I was swimming with my family from Omaha, I tried to do a flip and as soon as I started to flip I noticed that something was off. My balance and twist didn't feel right, it was to the point where I couldn't find my way to the surface when I should have. Instinctively I tried to breathe because I couldn't hold my breath anymore, that's when I started to panic. I kept thinking I'm too young to die. I don't want to die. This isn't the way I should die. Choking, miserable and scared from being stuck underwater, I somehow I managed to open my eyes and find the surface where I then could breathe air instead of water. Since that day I haven't been confident when it comes to swimming, diving, or doing any other tricks in the water.

I don't know how I'll be able to get over my fear of drowning especially since I'm not able to touch the bottom of the ocean like I when I was drowning in the pool, however I'll do what it takes to try surfing at least once in my life. When I want something, I'll do anything I can in order to get it, even if that means putting my fear of drowning aside so I can get on a surfboard and surf.

I've watched numerous movies and television shows that involved surfing as well as watch some videos of how to surf for beginners. From what I've seen you start off with a surfboard and proper clothing. Then you lay yourself on the surfboard just on the sand and imagine yourself on the water. There's a certain way to get on and off a surfboard in the water, as well as a specific time to do so. I've also learned that early in the morning during mid-or high-tides typically are the ideal times to go surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment