Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shark Week

Shark Week is basically a week long dedication to the species in which Discovery Channel shows films about sharks and their habitats. I dont know why but sharks interest me. The reason why I find sharks are interesting, is because sometimes they attack people and but then other times they do not. It makes me wonder why. If I smelled really bad, would a shark attack me? Or do they attack only if they are hungry? Also I wonder how sharks can smell blood miles away. Sharks are considered to be a species like (smaller) fish which brings me to wonder why and how sharks are more complex or smarter than regular fish. Like if they lost a tooth the teeth would grow back which I'm going to assume is a trait that was inherited.

The Great White Shark is the most famous species of all the sharks. Since sharks are a group of fish, some people have actually killed them to consume or to sell it's meat. Some that has tried the shark said certain parts are nasty if not taken care properly however if the shark was cared for properly then they are the most tasty fish meat. To be honest, I don't think I would ever voluntarily eat shark meat. I think it's similar to when people eat crocodiles/ alligators and frogs, a select few of the population likes the meat.

A weird thing I've come across before while on the discovery channel is some television show where there were a couple people in a locked cage that's surrounded by the massive creatures. They basically observe the sharks and have the feel of 'swimming with the sharks'. Obviously those people run the risk of getting eaten by one or getting attacked, but I assume those people don't care. Even some surfers run the risk of getting attacked. One of the most famous shark attack incident that involved a surfer was Bethany Hamilton, also known as the author of the book Soul Surfer which was later turned into a movie. In Soul Surfer, Bethany Hamilton talks about her life as a surfer, the attack, and how it had impacted her life after. One major drawback from the attack was that she lost her left arm. Over time she has learned to deal with what happened as well as she learned how to surf using just her right arm. Bethany actually posted not too long ago that her and her husband are having a baby that's due this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment